Civil Rights Movement & Post Modern Streets


Civil Rights Movement & Post Modern Streets


After WW2 took place the Cold War began, and the Civil Rights Movement had started, lasting from the 1950’s to the late 1960’s. I have a hard time putting an end date on the Civil Rights Movement because I believe the U.S is still in a place to improve racial discrimantion. The Black Lives Matter movement that started in 2013 and grew in 2020 only proves how far we still have to go. But, I also can’t dismiss the progress we have made. Today we will be going through six pieces of Street Art that were inspired by the Civil Rights Movement. It’s important to note that not all Street Art pieces have known artists. Street Art has a history of unidentified artists who leave their messages throughout the city unannounced. 


We Shall Always March Ahead




This first piece done by artist Muhammad Yungai in Atlanta is one of my favorite murals of the Civil Rigths Movement. Above we see (from left to right) Ralph David Abernathy Jr., Hosea Williams, Martin Luther King Jr., Coretta Scott King, and John Lewis locking arms as they march together. 

I love the contrast between the colors in this piece, from the bright sunset in the background with the city skyscrapers to the gray, black, and white activists marching. The color shows hope in the new day about to come and the seriousness of the moment. I also love the expression on their faces, Yungai captured the determination and strength of these people so well. 





I AM A MAN



This work of art was done by rap artist Marcellous Lovelace in graffiti style near the National Civil Rights Museum on S Man St in Memphis TN, in 2014. It displays the Sanitation Workers Protest that took place in 1968 during the Civil Rights Movement. 

The first thing that captures my eye in this piece is Lovelace’s use of graffiti style. Graffiti is one of the five elements of HipHop which include: Dj’ing, Mc’ing, Breaking, Graffiti, and Knowledge. Hiphop was created in the early 1970’s right after the Civil Right Movement in the Bronx of New York. The second thing that caught my attention is the very clear and strong statement that is shouted in this art “I AM A MAN”. The power that this piece carries is hard to put into words. Partly because it’s painful that people would even have to make this statement in order to be treated right and partly because I don’t have the words to explain the feeling I take away from this piece. The third thing I notice is the faces and his use of shapes and lines to portray the men standing together, it gives me a very cartoon feel which I love. 


 


Dharma




The Dharma mural was painted in 2018 in the Mission District of San Francisco by artist and breaker Crayone or Rigel Juratovac. This was a mural painted on a building that had burned down three times in only two years. Crayone was giving back to his community and recognizing the Firefighters and people who bring peace to the world. Above we find Mother Teresa, Martin Luther King Jr., Cesar Chavez, and Ghandi. Four world leaders who brought peace by caring for those around them. To top it off (literally) a dove representing world peace. Researching the Dharma I watched Crayone’s speech celebrating the opening of the mural and was moved by his heart behind this piece. I highly recommend you watch it too, the link can be found in the sources at the end of this blog. 

Regarding the elements I am amazed by the realism found in this piece. Instantly I knew who I was looking at and felt inspired to see some of my top role models together in one mural. I really liked how Crayone added part of King’s speech “I Have a Dream” . This line has had an impact through the generations and whispers hope into a person. I am also impressed by Crayone’s use of black and white on the gray building it makes the mural look like it’s not just on the building but a part of the building itself. Last but not least, I am intrigued by the way each of these leaders is looking in a different direction. It reminds me of how each of these leaders sought world peace through solving different problems that needed to be solved and chose to take the first step.




Hero



Under The Loss Preventions mission to transform communities with art, Sean Schwab painted the beautiful mural of John Lewis in 2012 in Atlanta's 5th District. This mural was made in order to honor John Lewis, a Congressman in the U.S who was a powerful activist in the Civil Rights Movement. At only twenty five years of age John Lewis was the sixth speaker to share during the march on August 28th in 1963 with Martin Luther King Jr. 

The way this mural was painted kind of reminds me of a Pop art style that was created in the Mid Modern era of art. I like the way you can see his faint shadow in the background and the contrasting colors that fit together so well. I’m enamored by the way the title “HERO” was placed above John Lewis instead of his name, I think this was very ingenious. I also like the way that part of his speech was painted on the side of the wall, it makes me feel like I’m looking at a huge storybook with the words to the side and the picture displayed in front of me. 



Rev. James Reeb



This mural represents the story of Rev. James Reeb, an activist commonly forgotten when speaking of the Civil Right Movement. In 2019 Princeton’s Theological Seminary worked together with Tony Elmore and the Casper Mural Project to share Rev. James Reeb’s part in the Civil Rights Movement in Casper, Wyoming. In the mural you’ll see Rev. James Reeb, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Jimmie Lee Jackson, Annie Cooper, Rev. Orloff Miller, and Rev. Clark Olsen marching arm in arm. 

This mural captivated me right away with its use of color and lighting. I love how the picture depicts the activists pushing through the dark bringing the light together. I also notice how the mural depicts a different shade for each person, to me this is beautiful. Unlike the Dharma mural this mural has each activist looking in the same direction, they are all marching towards the same goal. The symbolism in this piece is powerful and refreshing. 





Helping Hands



For this blog I wanted to end with Muhammad Yungai’s mural Helping Hands found at Clark, Atlanta University’s Woodruff library. The meaning behind this piece is to give thanks to and remind us of all the Civil Right Movements leaders and activists who laid down their lives in order that the new generation might live. 

This piece, much like the former, carries a lot of symbolism as the former leaders hold up their hands to support the new generation on a path to freedom, education, and life. I like how optimistic the colors are in this piece and the joy you can see on the kids' faces. I also like the shapes you see in the background, at first they seem a little out of place but, without them I don’t think the painting would be as hopeful and exciting as it is. 



Summary 


Each street artwork above carries a different piece of the Civil Rights Movement that we remember today. I was excited to do this blog because I found it so cool to see Mid Modern events be represented in Post Modern art because of the lasting power that the Civil Rights Movement has had on the generations and this country as a whole. As I mentioned in the beginning of this blog the U.S. still has a long way to go. But, nonetheless we are getting there and I believe it is with the remembrance and encouragement of past, present and future activists that we’ll make it. It is with the people that take the first step. 







Sources:


“Civil Rights Movement the Freedom Movement in Art.” Civil Rights Movement -- Freedom Movement Art, https://www.crmvet.org/images/imgart.htm. 

Janich, Kathy. “Today in Street Art: From N'awlins to ATL for Muralist Muhammad Yungai.” ARTS ATL, 28 Aug. 2019, https://www.artsatl.org/today-in-street-art-from-nawlins-to-atl-for-muralist-muhammad-yungai/. 

File:I'm a Man Mural in Memphis 2.Jpg - Wikimedia Commons. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:I%27m_a_Man_Mural_in_Memphis_2.jpg. 

“Hip-Hop: A Culture of Vision and Voice.” The Kennedy Center, https://www.kennedy-center.org/education/resources-for-educators/classroom-resources/media-and-interactives/media/hip-hop/hip-hop-a-culture-of-vision-and-voice/. 

“Murals: Street Art.” Crayone, https://crayone.com/crayonegraffitimurals. 

Link to Crayone's Speech

Eskenazi, Joe. “Striking New Mural of Secular Saints Is Funded by One of Mission's Most Detested Landlords.” Mission Local, 29 Sept. 2020, https://missionlocal.org/2018/09/striking-new-mural-of-gandhi-cesar-chavez-mlk-mother-theresa-is-funded-by-one-of-missions-most-detested-landlords/. 

-, Rebecca Burns, et al. “Dedication of New Downtown Mural Honoring John Lewis, Civil Rights Hero.” Atlanta Magazine, 18 July 2020, https://www.atlantamagazine.com/civilrights/dedication-of-new-downtown-mural-honoring-joh/. 

“Hero Series: Representative John Lewis.” The Loss Prevention, https://thelossprevention.net/series. 

“A Community Remembers a Homegrown Civil Rights Activist.” Princeton Theological Seminary, 18 Feb. 2020, https://www.ptsem.edu/news/james-reeb-mural.



Comments

  1. First off, I love the choices of artwork you chose for your Blog. These pieces bring heartache and wonder to my heart, mostly because it’s painful like what you said, that people would even have to make this statement in order to be treated right. I noticed the shapes and lines to portray the men standing together and it gives the picture more power and meaning. I love the fact that the paintings are on buildings, and I would love for one of these paintings to be my wall. I love the people they chose to paint also. Everything about these paintings is just wonderful, four world leaders who brought peace by caring for those around them, magnificent work! Great job Gracie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how each work you chose was a publicly painted work. Each work is highly detailed and encourages an individual to stop and admire it. I do wish you would have added the year each mural was created, but your introduction to the works and analyses are extremely helpful and well put. It is completely unfair that such works of art are created from painful experiences, but it increases their power and meaning.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Your Eva Grace

Classical Era & the American Revolution

Korea & Joseon Dynasty Art